Monday, August 16, 2010

The Influence of Western Melodies in Rabindranath's Compositions - Part III

Western music and melodies which inspired Rabindranath Tagore

We have been discussing the influence of western music on the compositions of Rabindranath Tagore. It was there because he had not only listened to these melodies during his childhood days, but also studied various forms of European music during his visits to England and the continent. In his own words, “At seventeen, when I first came to Europe, I came to know it intimately, but even before that time I had heard European music in our household. I had heard the music of Chopin and others at an early age. As a young boy, I heard European music being played on the piano; much of it I found attractive, but I could not enter fully into the spirit of the thing. I first heard European songs when I was 17 years old during my first visit to London. The artiste was Madame Nilsson, who had a great reputation in those days”.
From his letters of those days, it is known that he had often danced ‘Gallop’ and ‘Lancers’ in association with instruments like piano, violin etc during evening parties and fancy balls. In his autography (Jeevansmriti) he has written, “When I was in Brighton, I once went to hear the song of a famous singer in the institution for music there. I am failing to recollect her name. She might be either Madame Nilsson or Madame Albany. I have never heard such wonderful power of voice”.
In his autobiography he further writes that during his stay in London at Mrs. Scott’s residence, he had practiced Irish Meldiz and learnt some of them. His practice bore fruits and he could gather appreciation for his high pitched singing (Tarsaptak or Tenor) of the popular English numbers those days.
Many people think that these Bengali songs were oriented on the original western melodies only as a mark of influence. But Rabindra thinkers and researchers have a different opinion. Due to paucity of songs in this category and the fact that Gurudev did not compose such songs after he was past his 20s, it can be concluded that he, in the meanwhile, found out songs and music which inspired him throughout his life. Moreover, as the breakaway songs were born out of exact imitations from the point of view of tunes, there was no enthusiasm left in Tagore's mind to compose songs this way any further. The real influence of European music is, therefore, found elsewhere. This influence can be seen from the time of composition of these musical dance dramas till the last days of his life and have been expressed in different dimensions of Rabindrasangeet, thus giving rise to a coordinated trend.
Below is a list of English and European songs and melodies that Rabindranath learnt well during his stay in England.

1. Won't you tell me Mollie Darling
2. Silver Threads Among The Gold (Darling I am growing old)
3. Good Bye, Sweetheart, Good Bye
4. Then you will remember me
5. In the gloaming
6. Sleep on Beloved Good Night, Good Night
7. Go where glory waits thee
8. The Vicar of Bray
9. Of all the wives as e'er (Nancy Lee)
10. The British Grenadiers
11. Ye Banks and Braes
12. Robin Adair
13. If
14. Drink to me with only thine eyes
15. Ave Maria
16. Serenade
17. Messe Solennelle
18. Faust
19. Funeral March
20. Galops
21. Parsifal

These are the songs and compositions with which Rabindranath was well versed with and used to sing and play effortlessly.

Below are some short compositions by Charles Gounod on piano, organ and other instruments and it is possible that Rabindranath derived inspiration from these musical pieces






Powered by eSnips.com




Molly Darling - Will Oakland Original

You can hear the song here




This is the newer version of the same song by Hank Snow. See how that it has evolved over time. You can find it here





Lyrics of Molly Darling

Won't you tell me Molly darling
that you love none else but me
For I love you Molly darling
you are all the world to me
Oh tell me darling that you love me
put your little hand in mine
Take my heart sweet Molly darling
say that you'll give me thine
Stars are smiling Molly darling
through a mystique veil of night
They seem laughing Molly darling
while they seem to hide their light
Oh no one listens but the flowers
while they hang their heads in shame
They are modest Molly darling
When they hear me call your name
Molly there is sweetest dearest
look up darling tell me this
Do you love me Molly darling
let your answer be a kiss


Silver Threads Among The Gold - Will Oakland (Darling I am growing Old)

You can find the song here




Lyrics of Siver Threads Among the Gold (Darling I am Growing Old)

Darling, I am growing old,
Silver threads among the gold,
Shine upon my brow today,
Life is fading fast away;
But, my darling, you will be, will be,
Always young and fair to me,
Yes, my darling, you will be,
Always young and fair to me.
Darling, I am growing, growing old,
Silver threads among the gold,
Shine upon my brow today,
Life is fading fast away.

Good Bye Sweetheart Good Bye



Then You Will Remember Me



In the Gloaming




Lyrics of In The Gloaming

In the gloaming, oh my darling,
when the lights are soft and low
and the quiet shadows falling
softly come and softly go..

When the trees are sobbing faintly
with a gentle unknown woe,
will you think of me and love me,
as you did once long ago..?

In the gloaming, oh my darling,
think not bitterly of me.
Though I passed away in silence
left you lonely, set you free..

For my heart was tossed with longing,
what had been could never be.
It was best to leave you, thus, dear,
best for you and best for me..

In the gloaming, oh my darling,
when the lights are soft and low,
will you think of me and love me,
as you did once long ago..?



Sleep on Beloved




Lyrics of Sleep On Beloved

Sleep on beloved sleep and take thy rest
Lay down thy head upon thy Saviour's breast
We love thee well but Jesus loves thee best
Goodnight, goodnight, goodnight

Until our shadows from this earth are cast
Until He gathers in His sheaves at last
Until the twilight gloom is over past
Goodnight, goodnight, goodnight

Until made beautiful by love divine
Thou in the likeness of thy Lord shalt shine
And He will bring that golden crown of thine
Goodnight, goodnight, goodnight

Until we meet again before the throne
Clothed in the spotless robes He gives His own
Until we know as we have known
Goodnight, goodnight, goodnight

Continued......

1 comment: