Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The Influence of Western Melodies in Rabindranath's Compositions - Part IV

Go Where Glory Waits Thee

Get this widget | Track details | eSnips Social DNA


Lyrics of Go Where Glory Waits Thee - Thomas Moore
Go where glory waits thee,
But while fame elates thee,
Oh! still remember me.
When the praise thou meetest
To thine ear is sweetest,
Oh! then remember me.
Other arms may press thee,
Dearer friends caress thee,
All the joys that bless thee,
Sweeter far may be;
But when friends are nearest,
And when joys are dearest,
Oh! then remember me!

When, at eve, thou rovest
By the star thou lovest,
Oh! then remember me.
Think, when home returning,
Bright we've seen it burning,
Oh! thus remember me.
Oft as summer closes,
When thine eye reposes
On its lingering roses,
Once so loved by thee,
Think of her who wove them,
Her who made thee love them,
Oh! then remember me.

When, around thee dying,
Autumn leaves are lying,
Oh! then remember me.
And, at night, when gazing
On the gay hearth blazing,
Oh! still remember me.
Then should music, stealing
All the soul of feeling,
To thy heart appealing,
Draw one tear from thee;
Then let memory bring thee
Strains I used to sing thee, --
Oh! then remember me.

The Vicar of Bray.
This has been discussed in detail in a previous post. You will find a melodious rendition of the song here

Nancy Lee


Here is the song by Peter Dawson




A beutiful rendition of the song played on organ can be found here

Lyrics of Nancy Lee

The music to Nancy Lee was written by Michael Maybrick, who published under the name Stephen Adams. He was born in Liverpool in 1844. He completed his music studies there and moved to Leipzig and Milan to study further. He became a well known baritone singer. His first appearance was in the New Philharmonic Concerts in London in 1870. His tunes were popular in both England and America.
Nancy Lee was one of Maybrick's first compositions. It was so popular that within two years over one hundred thousand copies had been sold.

The words was written by Frederick E. Weatherly (1848-1929). Weatherly was born in Somersetshire in 1848 and graduated from Oxford in 1871. He practiced law thereafter, but also wrote more that fifty children's books and wrote several tunes with Maybrick.

Of all the wives as e'er you know,
Yeo ho! lads, ho! Yeo ho! Yeo ho!
There's none like Nancy Lee, I trow,
Yeo ho! Yeo ho! Yeo ho!
See there she stands and waves her hands
Upon the quay, and every day
When I'm away she'll watch for me,
And whisper low when tempests blow,
For Jack at sea,
Yeo ho! lads, ho! Yeo ho!

Chorus
The sailor's wife the sailor's star shall be,
Yeo ho! We go across the sea;
The sailor's wife the sailor's star shall be,
The sailor's wife his star shall be!

The harbor's past, the breezes blow,
Yeo ho! lads, ho! Yeo ho! Yeo ho!
'Tis long ere we come back, I know,
Yeo ho! Yeo ho! Yeo ho!
But true and bright from morn till night
My home will be, and all so neat,
And snug and sweet, for Jack at sea;
And Nancy's face to bless the place,
And welcome me;
Yeo ho! lads, ho! Yeo ho!

Chorus

The bosun pipes the watch below,
Yeo ho! lads, ho! Yeo ho! Yeo ho!
Then here's a health afore we go,
Yeo ho! Yeo ho! Yeo ho!
A long, long life to my sweet wife,
And mates at sea, and keep our bones
From Davy Jones, where-e'er we be,
And may you meet a mate as sweet
As Nancy Lee.
Yeo ho! lads, ho! Yeo ho!

Chorus

The British Grenadiers

This has been discussed in detail in a previous post. You can find below a performance by Texas Saxophone Quartet


The British Grenadiers – Texas Saxophone Quartet












MP3 search on MP3hunting



Ye Banks and Braes

You can find an orchestral rendition here



After the musical rendition here is the song being sung




Lyrics of Ye Banks and Braes

Ye banks and braes o' bonnie Doon,
How can ye bloom sae fresh and fair?
How can ye chant, ye little birds,
And I sae weary, fu' o' care!
Thou'll break my heart, thou warbling bird,
That wantons thro' the flowering thorn!
Thou minds me o' departed joys,
Departed, never to return.
Aft hae I rov'd by bonnie Doon
To see the rose and woodbine twine;
And ilka bird sang o' its luve,
And fondly sae did I o' mine;
Wi' lightsome heart I pu'd a rose,
Fu' sweet upon its thorny tree!
And my fause luver stole my rose -
But, ah! he left the thorn wi' me.

Meaning of unusual words:
braes=hillsides
ilka=every

Robin Adair

Here are three musical renditions of this beautiful song, two of the records are quite old

Robin Adair 1




Robin Adair 2



Robin Adair 3



And now you can find the actual song



Lyrics of Robin Adair

by Lady Caroline Keppel

What`s this dull town to me
Robin`s not near
What was`t I wish`d to see
What wish`d to hear
Where all the joy and mirth
Made this town heaven on earth
Oh, they`re all fled with thee
Robin Adair
What made th` assembly shine
Robin Adair
What made the ball sae fine
Robin was there
What when the play was o`er
What made my heart so sore
Oh, it was parting with
Robin Adair
But now thou`rt cold to me
Robin Adair
But now thou`rt cold to me
Robin Adair
Yet he I loved so well
Still in my heart shall dwell
Oh, I can ne`er forget
Robin Adair

No comments:

Post a Comment